I just read this article about children and body image. It’s something I’ve thought about a lot with Em getting older. I worry about her having a good body image. Most of her friends have the skinny as a stick body type—she’s much more average sized. She’s gorgeous—I hope she knows it.
I don’t know what my parents did while raising me, but for a long time I was comfortable in my skin. Maybe it was that we didn’t own a scale so I never really knew how much I weighed. Maybe it was that my Dad took every chance he could to tell me I was beautiful-- inside and out. Maybe it was that we were always an active family with lots of things going on and I just didn’t have time to think about it. I wouldn’t say that I obsess about my weight, but I do think about my diet and exercise more than I used to and I notice quickly when my jeans start getting tight. The one time I can recall being REALLY
unhappy with my body was after having the twins. I think I expected my body to go back to the shape it was before—but it never did. I remember finally after more than a year of continuing to wear maternity pants in the hopes that my old ones would fit I finally broke down and bought some new pants in a bigger size. I really envied those mothers that showed up a couple weeks after having a baby—already able to wear a nice form fitting dress and look great it in to boot. Years have gone by and I’ve gotten over the fact that still 13 years later I am not the size I used to be before I was pregnant. I’m ok with that (although if the bra size of being pregnant could have stuck around and I would not have complained one bit). I want my daughter to grow up happy with her body too. I haven’t been a very good example though. I say things like, “I’m to fat to wear skinny jeans” or “I can’t wear that dress because it makes me look fat”. What I should say is something more like, “I don’t think that is the best style for my body type.” or “I don’t feel like wearing that dress today.” I need to show her how to love herself no matter what she looks like—that will have to start with me loving myself more wrinkles, grey hair, cellulite and all!
Do you have body image issues? (who doesn't?) How have you overcome them? How do you teach your children about body image and how to be happy with their body no matter what shape it is? Is it realistic to be able to teach our kids how to be healthy without obsessing about weight and size? Tell me what you think!

5 comments:
My mom just didn't talk about herself, really. She tried to eat healthy, even though I didn't, I thought shredded wheat was disgusting. She was always respectful to bigger people, she told us to say heavy or big, not fat. My Grandmother was very overweight, too, and so it was something I knew I didn't want to happen to me. Also, my dad's sisters and their daughters were quite overweight, too. But my mom's family were all super skinny. I guess I felt like I had a choice, which I wanted to be.
As for my daughter, right from the beginning, we didn't want her thinking that she has to dress up to be pretty. So I make it point to tell her she is beautiful and pretty when she comes out of the bathtub or when she has her pajamas on. So far, so good, but she's not even 2.
I also try to keep comments about my own insecurities to myself, I don't want to introduce that thought if it hasn't crossed anyone's mind.
Ugh. That's something I am terrible at. I was one of the skinny minnies in high school and it is still hard for me to cope with the fact that I can't just eat anything I want anymore and still be a stick. When you figure out the secret, let me in on it! (o:
I remember my mom obsessing over her weight and body while I was growing up. I also remember hating that I was, ahem, well-endowed.
Right now, I just want to be in better shape. I just don't have to the time to exercise. So I'm working on making my diet healthier (I refuse to diet - wouldn't work for my anyway). I want Laurel to have a good body image too.
I have had body issues ever since I can remember. I have pictures of me when I was Baylie's age and I'm already sucking my cheeks in trying to look thinner. I could do a whole blog post on this. Overall I've learned to accept myself how I am, but I still hate that I'm so fat. I really hope to avoid that with my children. My mom tried to help me, but her efforts were actually worse. I am really careful about what I let her say to Baylie.
I totally know what you mean, and I dont think I really thought about being fat or dieting until middle school, mostly because that is when you realize all the hype about being "skinny". This post really hit home for me, because unlike my "skinny" sisters, I have more of mom's genetics than you guys. I worry constantly about my size, about the fact that I am heavier and thicker now than I have ever been, and about the health problems I know will be down the line for me if I let it get too out of hand. I know that after having 2 babies and countless hours of working a desk job I am not supposed to have the same body I did when I was 15, but some days I just get so frustrated that I dont have a magic solution that makes me the size I want to be. I appreciate now more than ever the struggles mom has had and I love her that much more for it. Unfortunately I have found myself getting down on more than one occasion about my size and body type. Hopefully I can get to a better place in my brain before Cassie gets old enough to take on my bad habits :D
Post a Comment